Telfair Square is one of four public squares after Johnson, Ellis, and Percival (now Wright) that General James Oglethorpe laid out for Savannah in 1733 and was originally named St. James Square in honor of a green space in London. In Savannah's early days, St James was one of the most fashionable neighborhoods in the city. The square was renamed Telfair in 1833 after the Telfair family's contributions to the city and culture of Savannah. The Telfairs of Savannah has included Governor Edward Telfair, Congressman Thomas Telfair and philanthropist Mary Telfair whose bequest of her home to the public as an “academy of arts and sciences” allowed the creation of the Telfair Museum of Art. Out of 22 squares in downtown Savannah, Telfair Square is the only square named for a family.
Gnossiennes No. 1, 2, 3