The Telfairs of Savannah
The Telfairs were members of a coastal aristocracy, an elite circle of urban southerners who felt as much at home in the drawing rooms of New York City and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as in the parlors of Savannah and Charleston, South Carolina.
“Savannah would be better for you. You'll just get in trouble in Atlanta.” – Mamie to Scarlett in Gone With The Wind
"All lovely things will have an ending . . . Come back, true love! Sweet youth, remain!
-Conrad Potter Aiken , ALL LOVELY THINGS
-Sam Smith, TOO GOOD AT GOODBYES
The siege itself consisted of a joint Franco-American attempt to retake Savannah, from September 16 to October 18, 1779.. On October 9 a major assault against the British siege failed. During the attack, Polish nobleman Count Casimir Pulaski, leading the combined cavalry forces on the American side, was mortally wounded. With the failure of the joint attack, the siege was abandoned, and the British remained in control of Savannah until July 1782.
SCAD: The University of Creative Careers
"He's got two years
before he creates his herd
-Lexie Roth, WINDFIELD
HEATHCOTE WARD is bounded on the west by Jefferson Street and on the east by Whitaker Street. The northern boundary is West Broughton Street, and the southern boundary is West Oglethorpe Avenue. The north-south axis is Barnard Street, and the east-west axis is West President Street. TELFAIR SQUARE is bordered on the north by West State Street and on the south by West York Street. Heathcote Ward was named for George Heathcote who was one of the original Georgia Trustee.
From 1733 to 1883, Telfair Square in Heathcote Ward was one of the most fashionable residential areas. Noteworthy buildings include the northwest Trust Lot where the TELFAIR ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES, the oldest public art museum in the South, is located. Originally, it was the Telfair family home which was built circa 1820. It is one of three remaining Regency style structures in Savannah designed by William Jay who also designed the Owens-Thomas house. An addition was designed by Detlef Lienau when the building became a museum circa 1883-1886.
Patriarch EDWARD TELFAIR emigrated from Scotland and formed a successful importing agency in Savannah. He sent his children, ALEXANDER, MARY AND MARGARET, to Philadelphia for a 31“republican” education. The home on the square was built for Alexander, who died young and left the family estate in the capable hands of Mary. She never married, and according to her letters, never intended to do so, having no inclination to take orders from a man. Margaret married William B. Hodgson.
"Prelude to the
Afternoon of a Faun
Telfair Square is one of four public squares after Johnson, Ellis, and Percival (now Wright) that General James Oglethorpe laid out for Savannah in 1733 and was originally named St. James Square in honor of a green space in London. In Savannah's early days, St James was one of the most fashionable neighborhoods in the city. The square was renamed Telfair in 1833 after the Telfair family's contributions to the city and culture of Savannah. The Telfairs of Savannah has included Governor Edward Telfair, Congressman Thomas Telfair and philanthropist Mary Telfair whose bequest of her home to the public as an “academy of arts and sciences” allowed the creation of the Telfair Museum of Art. Out of 22 squares in downtown Savannah, Telfair Square is the only square named for a family.
Gnossiennes No. 1, 2, 3
Residence Inn by Marriott
Residence Inn by Marriott preserves Savannah's historical assets in line with the city's historic and local surroundings that include a railroad theme similar to a nearby Railroad Terminal, now the Savannah Visitor Center, across street from The Battle of Savannah. Rooms are designed like studios, 1-2 bedroom apartments with a row of cottages by the pool set on a terrace in a public square. A buffet breakfast is complimentary along with a gym.
Many of Savannah's downtown attractions including SCAD and Civic Center are within walking distance.
"When can I see you