FLORENCE COUNTY, SC
pamplico, south carolina
Located twenty miles south of Florence, the Town of Pamplico was incorporated December 1, 1916. In its first election that same day of incorporation the town elected the following residents to govern: Benton D. Dargan, Mayor; and Councilmen Jesse W. Finklea, C.W. Boyd, W.W. Coleman, Sr., V.A. Burnis, and M.A. Coleman.
It is believed that Pamplico Branch got its name from a tribe of Indians who once lived in this area since Indian artifacts have been found. Many lots were sold in late 1910, mostly to residents of the area, and a railway from Effingham, SC to the fledgling Pamplico was completed.
On June 10, 1919, the Pee Dee Land and Development Company deeded the following streets to the Town of Pamplico: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Avenues; Coleman, Steel, and Munn Avenues; Palmetto, Hickory, Walnut, Pine, Elm and Trade Streets. Also that certain portion of Trade Street designated on the plat as “Dargan Place” was deeded. In late 1919 the assets of the Pee Dee Land and Development Company were sold to A.A. Munn.
The first Pamplico business was the Pamplico Supply Company, built in 1912. The store served the residents of the area with food, work clothing and most items needed in the home and on the farm. It was a landmark on the corner or Fourth Avenue (Main Street) and Walnut Street for 57 years, closing its doors in 1969.
The first industry established in Pamplico was the Dargan Lumber Company, which has changed owners through the years and is now the Marsh Furniture Company. It is the one industry, in the early history of Pamplico, that has survived and continues to support the economy of Pamplico.
The first drug store was Peoples Drug Store was established in 1914 by Dr. W.H. Poston and John Ely McGough. Mr. McGough was Pamplico’s first postmaster, appointed July 13, 1914. Dr. Poston maintained his office until his death in 1950. In 1961, the Pamplico Post Office was relocated to its current location at the corner of Third Avenue and N. Trade Street.
The first bank in Pamplico, the Farmers and Merchants Bank, was established in 1914, and on June 6, 1918, the Bank of Pamplico was organized. The two banks were consolidated on January 20, 1931 and named Farmers Bank of Pamplico. Sometime later the bank was liquidated. In 1933 the Pamplico Cash Depository was organized, and in 1945 the Pamplico Bank and Trust Company was organized. In 2008 Pamplico Bank and Trust Company was purchased by The Citizens Bank which is now serving this area.
The Pamplico Hotel was constructed in 1916 by George J. Steele at the corner of Fourth Avenue and N. Trade Street. It burned in 1927, and Pamplico has not had a hotel since then.