"Come quickly, have found heaven.” –Artist Alfred Hutty in a wire to his wife upon discovering Charleston
There are large window and door openings for good air flow circulation to act as a type of air-conditioner. The house's outbuildings originally contained the kitchen and servants' quarters. The back part of the property originally was the horse stables and facilities for carriages. Horse stables have been converted into Carriage Houses.
Charles Alston, a successful Lowcountry rice planter and rice producer, bought the property in 1838. Edmondston had to sell the property through bankruptcy receivers because of the Panic of 1837 that caused economic setbacks for Edmondston. Alston immediately remodeled the house in the Greek Revival style and added a third story. The Alstons received their business visitors on the first floor, while their social functions took place on the second floor. Alston placed his family coat-of-arms on the parapet on the east front. This feature of a coat-of-arms being placed on a parapet on top of a house is the only known example in Charleston.