CHARLES TOWN BECOMES CHARLESTON
In 1663, King Charles II granted Carolina to eight English nobleman called lords proprietors. In 1669, the proprietors sent settlers to America. The settlers arrived in 1670 and set up South Carolina's first permanent white settlement at Albemarle Point in West Ashley. In 1680 the colonists moved to Oyster Point on the peninsula and named the settlement Charles Town. The spelling was changed to Charleston in 1783.
Source: WORLD BOOK 2017 COMMEMORATIVE EDITION
By the mid-18th century, Charleston had become a successful trade center, bringing in goods from the mainland, Europe, and the northern ports it had become the center of the trade for the southeastern colonies.
By 1770 Charleston was the fourth largest port in the colonies following Boston, New York and Philadelphia and became the wealthiest and largest city south of Philadelphia.
New Super Tall Houses Construction off Bee Street